1st African Road Safety Forum
The 1st African Road Safety Forum, organized by the Moroccan National Committee for Prevention of Road Accidents, will be held 13–15 November 2018 in Marrakech, Morocco. The Alliance is one of the partners involved in planning and promoting the Forum and will be running several sessions at the event, promoting the role of road safety NGOs in Africa.
About the 1st African Road Safety Forum
More than 90% of road-related deaths and injuries occur in low- and middle-income countries, and Africa is one of the most affected regions. The Forum is a platform for exchanging expertise and good practices in road safety, capitalizing on each other’s achievements in road safety so that the socioeconomic and cultural similarities between African countries are assets and key factors of success.
The aims of the Forum are to:
- Create an African framework for reflection on road safety in Africa
- Promote ownership of road safety in Africa, to achieve the goals of the Decade of Action for Road Safety 2011–2020
- Bring together government institutions and organizations, experts, economic actors, public and private companies, and NGOs from the African continent working for road safety
- Share experiences and good practices on road safety in the African continent
- Promote cooperation between African countries in the field of road safety
- Develop exchanges and relations between African economic operators in the field of road safety
- Encourage investment in the various sectors related to road safety
- Promote the integration of new technologies into the management and management of road safety in Africa
- Pooling and capitalizing on NGO experiences to serve as a relay for anchoring values in societies in Africa
- Study the mechanisms for setting up and implementing an African road safety observatory
Read more HERE.
About the Alliance at the 1st African Road Safety Forum
The Alliance has 64 NGOs representing 25 countries in the African region and is therefore a significant voice among road safety stakeholders in Africa. The Alliance is one of the partners in the planning of the Forum. Our involvement will include:
- Promoting the Forum and mobilizing participation of governments
- Mobilizing member NGOs
- Contributing to the Declaration
- Issuing a white paper on the road safety situation in Africa as viewed by NGOs
- Hosting a booth promoting the work of African NGOs
- Organizing a moment of silence for road traffic victims
- Running three sessions at the Forum
Most significantly, the Alliance will launch the African Chapter of the Global Alliance of NGOs for Road Safety at the Forum. The African Chapter will lead to a stronger role for African NGOs. It will establish an environment to provide and offer NGO perspectives, networking, and capacity building within local and regional contexts.
Join the Meeting
We would love you to support us by attending and encouraging your government to attend. It is free to register for the Forum and Alliance members can also apply for free hotel accommodation for up to four nights. Unfortunately, no subsidies are available for flights and other expenses.
If you are planning to attend the Forum, please let us know by completing the form HERE or via the button below. If you would like to be considered for free hotel accommodation, please indicate this when you complete the form. NOTE: You must already be registered for the Forum via the official website HERE. The closing date for submissions is 14 September 2018.